Friday, October 22, 2010

Mending Jeans

My husband and kids have a few pair of old jeans that have holes in the knees and other places.  With the weather getting cold,  they can't wear these old jeans and still be warm so I began to look for a way to repair them,  not having a sewing machine.

 I was walking around Walmart one night,  waiting for my oldest daughter to get done with work and stumbled upon these little iron on patches.  They were only $1.77 each so I picked up three of them and decided to give them a try.  The instructions were very easy-

1. Set your iron on the Cotton setting.
2. Cut a piece of the patch to fit over the area in the jeans that needs patched.
3. Preheat the area that the patch will go over by holding the iron on it.
4. Place the patch on the jeans and iron it for 30 seconds,  repeat if still not secure.

That's it!  I just fixed three holes in a pair of jeans that my oldest son has.  Why buy new jeans for them to play in?  The size of the patch that you get is pretty big-  here's a picture to show how much you get for under $2.00

This is the patch,  after two smaller squares were cut out.  I would say that the patch you get is around the size of a piece of printer paper so you can figure on fixing several pairs of jeans for under $2.00!

The patch seems to be very sturdy-  I even tried to peel it up from the corners and it seems to be stuck in place pretty good.  I'll update once I wash the jeans a few times and let you know how long it lasts.  

Hope this was helpful :-)

2 comments:

  1. UPDATE- These patches are starting to fall off as they are run through the washer and dryer. Maybe I didn't leave the iron on them long enough? I'm going to try one more time and leave the iron on longer (recommended 30 seconds) and see if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I would not blame yourself at all for the patches falling off, it could just be the patches them self. I love iron on patches they are so fun.

    ReplyDelete